Monday 14 May 2012

Beastie Boys - RIP Yauch

I've been through many, many variations of this illustrations over the past week or so. I just wanted to get it right. Hearing about Yauch losing his battle with cancer was oddly affecting considering it was someone I'd never met. The Beasties mean a lot to me. I've seen them live more than any other band, when Louise and I moved in together it was Flute Loop that we played first in our new home and the first framed picture we put up on the wall was our Mike Mills designed "Root Down" poster. The Beasties were there when I was a teenager and still there as I approached middle age. Effortlessly growing up without "growing up". It's not only their music but their aesthetic (videos, Grand Royal magazine, the X-Large clothing label), their sense of fun (I always felt they were having my share!) and their continued interest in what they did. They were (and still are) an inspiration. I imagine losing Yauch also means we've lost the Beasties. They'll leave a huge gap that won't be filled easily. RIP MCA.

2 comments:

Jason Quinones said...

A really well said, meaningful, personal write up along with some GREAT art in tribute to a great man and an AWESOME band that will never ever be replicated. The Beasties forever live on in spirit.

Jonathan Edwards said...

Thanks, Jason. I really wanted to do them justice. Don't know if I have but I tried my best.