Thursday 1 November 2007

Martin Parr


I very rarely use photographic reference but today I'm making an exception. I love this photograph by Martin Parr and have wanted to draw it since the moment I first saw it. It's like a Renaissance tableau but with tomato sauce dispensers and hotdogs. I love the way the girl at the front is pushing down on the tomato sauce dispenser with her forearm whilst trying to hold onto her hotdog. It's the type of pose that you couldn't make up but gives a drawing a real authenticity. This photo also reminds me of all the holidays I had as a kid and all the fetes, carnivals and "fun" days I went to between the ages of 5 and 15. Proust had his madeleine I've got a purple slush puppy and a Westler's hamburger.

3 comments:

Simon said...

Superb. Is this for anything in particular, or are you finding the time to draw for fun??

Jonathan Edwards said...

I needed a break from all the drawing and what's the best way to unwind? Some drawing!

Anonymous said...

I've looked at this photograph of Martin Parr for more than an hour I guess.
And now it's here again, seen by your eyes and by your hands. Cool!