Thursday 24 September 2009

Outkast - Stankonia


My version of the cover to OutKast's classic Stankonia album for the Beck's 100 Cover Project. I put my name down to do this two months ago and promplty forgot all about it AND I think I've missed the deadline now! Finally got round to translating all the sketches into a finished piece today. I love OutKast. Andre 3000 - a living cartoon character, 21st century dandy and Morrissey fan - and Big Boi - a lapdance-club-owning Kate Bush fanatic! Stankonia is like Maggot Brain, Purple Rain, There's a Riot Goin' On and Critical Beatdown all rolled into one. Lush, organic, funky, eclectic and the work of two distinct personalities. Hope that comes across in my cover.

Have a look at the Beck's Flickr pool to see great contributions from Guy McKinley, Warwick Johnson Cadwell, Rexbox and many more.

5 comments:

Jason Bennion said...

Amazing album combined with amazing artwork - does it get any better!!!

WJC said...

Great stuff Jonathan, I've been looking forward to this. Glad to see it's up too, I panicked at the thought of the deadline finishing with so many cool albums still uncovered.

Steffi Schütze said...

I love how vibrant this is! Amazing!

Jonathan Edwards said...

Thanks everyone!

Steffi - That was a bit of a fortuitous accident in Photoshop, clicked on the wrong layer and POW!

Howard Shum said...

Cool cover!